Tomatoes and bread salad. This classic Italian bread-and-tomato salad manages to be fresh and summery, but still hearty enough to eat as a light supper or lunch. Drying fresh bread in the oven produces a better texture than using stale bread. The tomato juice combines with vinegar to create a flavor-packed vinaigrette.
Ingredients of Tomatoes and bread salad
- Prepare 200 gms of ciabatta, bite size cubed.
- You need 600 gms of tomatoes, chopped.
- You need of To taste, sea salt.
- It’s of To taste, fresh ground pepper.
- Prepare 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1 1/2 of tsps fennel seeds.
- You need 1/2 tsp of sesame seeds.
- You need of Extra virgin olive oil.
- You need of White wine vinegar.
- It’s Bunch of fresh basil.
- You need of Parmesan cheese.
- You need Dash of sesame oil.
Decorate with sprigs of fresh basil. Horiatiki (peasant) salad has tomatoes if they are vine-ripened and fresh, onions, garden vegetables like cucumber and hot or mild peppers, and greens like You are basically making big croutons. Cut the bread into thick slices, dice and toast in the oven to dry. To break the hard paximadia into pieces.
Tomatoes and bread salad instructions
- Place the ciabatta on a baking tray, sprinkle fennel & sesame seeds over it and season with salt, pepper, minced garlic and a dash of olive oil. Ensuring the cubes are coated well. Heat in a 180° preheated oven for 5 minutes or till they turn golden..
- In a bowl place the tomatoes, season with salt, fresh ground pepper, olive oil and vinegar. Mix well. To this, add the warm ciabatta cubes and mix well. Tear the basil and add to it and mix well. Season with more salt, pepper, vinegar and olive oil. Top it with parmesan cheese and a dash of sesame oil serve..
To me tomatoes and fresh basil are a classic combination that go together like peanut butter and jelly! I drizzled the bread with evoo and sprinkled with basil and thyme before baking. I added cucumbers and mozzarella to make it a little more substantial. Mix tomatoes, cucumber, scallions and basil leaves in a bowl. Remove the tomato skins by placing the tomatoes into boiling water for a few seconds and refreshing in a bowl of ice cold water.