Bolognese Sauce. Hazan had a few recipes for the classic sauce. Serve this savory and decadent sauce as a hearty weeknight meal over spaghetti or rigatoni. How to Make a Classic Bolognese Sauce (Sugo alla Bolognese).
Ingredients of Bolognese Sauce
- Prepare 2 tbsps of olive oil.
- You need 6 tbsps of unsalted butter.
- It’s 1 cup of onion, small dice.
- Prepare 1 1/3 cups of carrot, small dice.
- It’s 1/2 lb. of ground beef chuck (80% lean – no leaner).
- It’s 1/2 lb. of ground pork.
- Prepare 1/2 lb. of ground veal.
- You need of salt.
- You need of peoper.
- Prepare 2 cups of whole milk.
- It’s 2 cups of red wine.
- Prepare 3-5 cups of canned Italian plum tomatoes with juices, diced.
My version is smooth, rich, hearty and slow cooked to perfection. The very essence of Italian comfort food! Bolognese is so much more than just a meat sauce. When the temperature starts to drop, what sounds better than pasta smothered in rich, hearty, umami-bomb bolognese?
Bolognese Sauce instructions
- Place the oil, butter, and onion in a large pot (don’t use cast-iron) over medium heat..
- Sauté the onion until it is translucent, then add the carrot. Stir for 2 minutes..
- Add the ground meat, a large pinch of salt, and some freshly ground pepper..
- Brown the meat and break any clumps into small pieces..
- Pour the milk into the pot and simmer, stirring often, until the liquid has cooked away completely (about 45 minutes)..
- Add the wine and let it simmer, stirring occasionally, until it has evaporated (about 30 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes, stirring well to mix everything together. When the sauce starts to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer..
- Let the sauce cook uncovered for 3 hours (or more), giving it a stir every now and again. If all of the liquid boils off before the cooking time is done, stir in 1/2 cup of water and continue to simmer. Repeat as necessary. By the end, there should be no liquid left. Season with salt to taste. Makes 4 cups of sauce. Can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 3 days or frozen..
This homemade bolognese sauce is amazing! It goes so well with all of your favorite pasta dishes! It's not just meat and tomatoes over pasta. When making Bolognese, you want to use the best imported Italian plum tomatoes you can find. This is the best Bolognese sauce recipe, a staple in my home.