Bolognese Sauce. Hazan had a few recipes for the classic sauce. Serve this savory and decadent sauce as a hearty weeknight meal over spaghetti or rigatoni. How to Make a Classic Bolognese Sauce (Sugo alla Bolognese).
Ingredients of Bolognese Sauce
- Prepare 1 of onion, finely chopped.
- You need 1 of small carrot, finely chopped.
- It’s 1 of celery stick, finely chopped.
- Prepare 2 of garlic cloves, finely chopped.
- It’s 400 g of or 14 oz minced (ground) beef.
- Prepare 120 ml (1/2 cup) of red wine.
- You need 15 ml (1 tbsp) of chopped fresh parsley).
- It’s 45 ml (3 tbsp) of olive oil.
- You need 200 ml (1 cup) of canned tomatoes or strained bottled tomatoes (passata).
- It’s 15 ml (1 tbsp) of tomato puree/paste.
- It’s 5 ml (1 tsp) of dried oregano.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of beef stock.
- It’s to taste of salt and ground pepper.
My version is smooth, rich, hearty and slow cooked to perfection. The very essence of Italian comfort food! Bolognese is so much more than just a meat sauce. When the temperature starts to drop, what sounds better than pasta smothered in rich, hearty, umami-bomb bolognese?
Bolognese Sauce step by step
- In a large pan, heat the oil. Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook over low heat for 6 minutes, stirring frequently..
- Add the minced beef to the pan and cook for 7 minutes. Break up any lumps in the meat with a wooden spoon, steel spatula or manual potato masher..
- Stir in the red wine and mix well. Cook for 3 minutes then add the parsley, oregano, 4 tbsp of beef stock and tomatoes (canned/bottled and puree)..
- Season with salt and pepper to taste then mix well and bring the mixture to boil..
- Cook covered for 30 minutes. Stir frequently and add more stock as needed..
- Add more salt and pepper as needed then use the mixture in pasta dishes..
This homemade bolognese sauce is amazing! It goes so well with all of your favorite pasta dishes! It's not just meat and tomatoes over pasta. When making Bolognese, you want to use the best imported Italian plum tomatoes you can find. This is the best Bolognese sauce recipe, a staple in my home.